Monday, November 28, 2011

Post Wintefair Report and Artist Block

I've been pondering all day what I could share about Winterfair. The show was a success as far as sales. I expected to make more than I did, but I walked away with a decent profit so I feel weird complaining.

I guess it comes down to the show had quite a different atmosphere than the other two shows I did this year. Winterfair felt much more somber and serious. The crowds were not big and the other vendors weren't overly friendly. Everyone seemed a bit let down by the lack of crowds and lower than expected sales. Even so, I will most likely apply to it again next year. It dragged and wasn't the most fun show, but I did make money and that's all that really matters in the end I suppose.

Nick and I also got quite a bit of our Christmas shopping done. That helped us and the other vendors.

On to my artist block. I keep getting hit with the urge to draw, but when I do it ends up looking stupid. I've accepted that I'm just not meant to do realistic portraits. I'm like Salieri envying Mozart in Amadeus. I wish I could create amazing true to life portraits, but I just can't. Or at least I just don't have the time and patience right now. I have pulled a couple of great portraits out of thin air, but not consistently. I feel like I'm trying to find my new niche, my own style. So I started sketching tonight and as usual it all looked dumb. Then I sketched a sort of creepy little puppet girl.

Don't ask, I have no idea where this idea came from. It was an evolution from earlier dumber sketches. I actually liked it, though, but thought the x eyes were a little too creepy. So I switched them out.

Then, because I feel like I haven't shared any artwork on here for a while I decided to see this weird little drawing to completion.

I am actually quite happy with it. Better than nothing, I guess, which is what I've been coming up with lately. Well, since the beginning of the year. Maybe 2012 will be my year of art, cause 2011 was the year of the clocks!

No comments: